Post by omniface on Sept 25, 2018 20:14:57 GMT
I'd like some advice for my room. See the attached image. This is a home office that I also use for mixing and recording vocals.
Dimensions: 13' x 10' x 8'
Window in the front right
Closet in the back (13' to wall, closet cuts into this)
Entrance back left
Thinking of using multiple panels in the entrance area for a little vocal booth with a swinging panel that will hang down vertically
Black outline is closet with sliding doors, and the window in the upper right.
Bright green upper right is a vent on the ceiling
Bright green lower left is a light fixture high on the wall
Red are my thoughts on panel placement (2'x4'x4" DIY panels)
Black boxes are my computer monitors, which will be wall mounted in the center.
Dark green are my studio monitors
Brown in the middle is my desk
Blue and Black is me
Blue and light blue is a futon at the back of the roomBrown/Orange are diffusers possibly
My questions are this:
1) I'm torn between Roxul and Owens Corning insulation. The Rockwool 40 is little less cost, and seems to have better bass response than 703 based on NRC I've seen, but due to lower density I'm concerned about how flimsy it is? Am I better off using a more rigid one? I plan to build a wood frame for each. Is 703 and such stiff enough to forgo the frame altogether?
2) Should I go with thicker (6" or 8") panels in the two corners at the front?
3) Should I be placing some thick ones in the upper corners of my room too?
4) Should I use thinner panels on the walls with an air space? or thicker against the wall? I can probably use thicker and air spaces on the sides, but I'm concerned about running out of room front to back
6) I'm considering just filling my closet with insulation as a bass trap and leaving the closet doors off (maybe put a sheet over it for appearance). Is this a good idea? What can I use that is cheap in really large quantities such as this?
7) If I fill the closet, should I put any diffusers behind my head still? How much is sufficient? 12"x36"? 24"x36"?
Progress Photo 1